Products

Synthesis Maps

Synthesis maps provide a simplified overview of current global crop conditions. The cropped area displayed in the synthesis map is the total area of all four crops (Maize, Soybeans, Rice, and Wheat) depicted according to the observed crop condition categories (Exceptional, Favourable, Watch, and Poor). Crops classified as having other-than-favourable conditions are highlighted with crop symbols, and areas that are out-of-season are in dark gray. Non-AMIS countries are identified in light gray and are not covered by the Crop Monitor.

At the request of AMIS partners, synthesis maps were developed to provide a simplified overview of current global crop conditions. Three versions of the synthesis maps were developed in order to provide varying levels of information; crops in other than favourable conditions, drivers of other than favourable conditions, and crops and drivers for areas in other than favourable conditions. Each month, the synthesis map identifying crops in other than favourable conditions is included in the publication in the Crop Monitor report (all versions are available on the website).

Below is an example of a synthesis map included in the monthly Crop Monitor publication. The cropped area displayed is the total area for all four crops. Conditions are depicted according to the categories defined above (Exceptional, Favourable, Watch, Poor). Crops classified as having other than favourable conditions are displayed using crop symbols. Areas that are out-of-season are in dark gray. Non-AMIS countries are identified in light gray and are not covered by the Crop Monitor.

Synthesis_Crops

Crop Specific Pie Charts and Maps

Pie charts provide additional crop-specific information about production and exports. Each slice of the pie chart represents a country’s share for the 5-year average of total study area’s (e.g. AMIS or Early Warning) production. The main producing countries (representing 90 percent of production) are shown individually, while the remaining 10 percent are grouped into the “other” category. The section within each national slice is coloured according to the crop conditions within a specific growing area; grey indicates that the respective area is out of season. Sections within each slice are weighted by the sub-national 5-year average production statistics of the respective country. The section within each national slice also accounts for multiple cropping seasons (i.e. spring and winter wheat). When conditions are labeled less-than-favourable, icons are added that provide information on the key climatic drivers affecting conditions.

In addition to the information provided to the AMIS Market Monitor, the Crop Monitor provides supplementary information on the website. Growing areas within the crop specific maps are specific to each crop and show the sum of the multiple seasons (i.e. Maize 1 and Maize 2). Within the seasonally specific maps, the crop calendar insert map is included in addition to the normal crop conditions and drivers. This insert map provides important context for interpreting crop conditions (i.e. potential impacts of various climatic drivers on final production can be better evaluated in the context of the crop development stage).

While all countries are featured in the synthesis maps and pie charts, the text focuses on the main producers and exporters for each crop. To identify the main producers and exporters within AMIS countries the last five years of production and export statistics were collected for each crop. A simple method for taking into account both production and exports combined each country’s fraction of total AMIS production and fraction of total AMIS exports. From this ranking the top countries accounting for 97% of total AMIS production and exports for each crop were chosen for reporting in the text. Additionally, reporting on major climatic events in the countries that are not a part of the top 97% still occurs.

A monthly list was created to identify which countries would appear in the text portion of the monthly Crop Monitor report each month for each crop. The monthly reporting for each country is flexible so as to account for any early or late beginnings or ends to the season. Within each crop section, the countries are sorted by northern and southern hemisphere, starting with primary hemisphere in season that month and then ordered by their combined production and exports ranking from largest to smallest.

Wheat_Pie_Chart_0Figure 6. Example of wheat condition pie chart (as of April 28th, associated with Figure 7)

Crop specific pie charts were designed to accompany the synthesis maps and to provide additional crop-specific information. Each slice represents a country’s share of total AMIS production (5-year average). Main producing countries (representing 90 percent of production) are shown individually, with the remaining 10 percent grouped into the GǣOther AMIS CountriesGǥ category. The proportion within each national slice is coloured according to the crop conditions within a specific growing area; grey indicates that the respective area is out of season. Sections within each slide are weighted by the sub-national production statistics (5-year average) of the respective country. The section within each national slice also accounts for multiple cropping seasons (i.e. spring and winter wheat). When conditions are labelled as ‘poor’ or ‘watch’, icons are added that provide information on the key climatic drivers affecting conditions.

In addition to the pie charts, crop specific maps are available on the Crop Monitor website. Growing areas within these maps are specific to each crop and show the sum of the multiple seasons (i.e. Maize 1 and Maize 2). Within the seasonally specific maps, the crop calendar insert map is included in addition to the normal crop conditions and drivers. This insert map provides important context for interpreting crop conditions (i.e. potential impacts of various climatic drivers on final production can be better evaluated in the context of the crop development stage).

Wheat_0